Saturday, August 4, 2007

tribute to boone.

goodbye number eight.

that's what amanda said as she closed the door to our apartment and pushed in our dysfunctional peep hole one last time.

i don't live in boone anymore. which is weird. wilkesboro is nice. it is hotter down here, though. but hey. gotta work on my hot weather tolerance for grenada.

just wanted to pay tribute to some of my favorite moments from my last few days in boonetown. in completely random order:

climbing up the colony of rocks at hebron with my brother and christine. enjoying amanda's homeade funfetti ice cream while watching friends. jogging amidst the wildflowers in the meadow near the greenway. visiting my eighty-one year old kindred spirt, mrs. mitchell, who never ceases to shower me with wisdom and laughter. eating out way too much at local places when all our food and cooking equipment were packed away. (here's to mellow mushroom. boone bagelry. cafe portifino. mile high. and even murphy's). ducking under the guy hanging in the hammock above our stairs. observing the fascinating interaction of the pratt siblings. looking through erin's amazing pictures from japan. reminising with jeffrey, amanda, erin, and andrew about college in amanda's new round house. crying with amanda when i realized i was saying goodbye...

dear boone. you mean the world to me. but there's still more world to see.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I dont know if number 8 is your apartment number, or the 8th goodbye, but I feel like I am always saying different group goodbyes! love your tribute!

abby huggins said...

haha. we did live in apartment number eight. but it almost seems as if we've had eight goodbyes. so both are nearly true.

Joni said...

Abby

You will always be a part of Boone and it a part of you. The path you are taking is yours - make it broad and deep. Peter and I wish you well. Please know we care deeply for you and your family.